Looking for a delicious, healthy substitute for whipped cream? This recipe whips cream cheese with rich Greek yogurt to create a thick, sumptuous substitute for ordinary whipped cream. Berry Yogurt-Cheese Breakfast Bowl is a ‘Make Ahead’ Breakfast and cheat Dessert too! Creamy and dressed with berries, a yummey way to get your 5 a day!
I’ve shared this yogurt-cheese breakfast bowl a few times on my instagram and facebook page but never on the blog. Well, that is because I stopped blogging for years. It’s high time this recipe has it’s own permanent home here on the blog. With that said, I now finally have the inspiration and motivation to start blogging again!
For a Mix with thicker consistency, use Full Fat instead of Low Fat. However, I found that my favourite brand “Lancashire Farm” Greek style Natural Yogurt with 10% fat did the job perfectly well with a lighter cream cheese. I love this brand because the yogurt is so thick and creamy in taste and texture, unlike other brands. It’s got a wonderfully rich, savoury taste that makes it perfect for stirring into sauces or dolloping on desserts.
Lancashire Farm Greek Style Natural Yogurt. It’s made from Lancashire milk, no added sugar, mild and creamy and perfect for cooking as well.
- SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS
- GLUTEN FREE
- BIO-LIVE CULTURES
- NO ARTIFICIAL COLOURS OR FLAVOURINGS
Berry Yogurt-Cheese Breakfast Bowl Preparation :
Cream cheese should be at room temperature otherwise it will get lumpy when mixing. Whisk the cream cheese and yogurt till creamy and thick with a hand mixer on high speed. If using a stand mixer, use the whisk attachment. I added some chopped strawberries in the blend hence the pinkish colour. Chill for at least one hour or till it becomes firm. Best results would be overnight. To serve, top it with mixed berries or seasonal fruits.
This is a filling and wholesome breakfast. It’s a lot like a yogurt parfait, and just as delicious! I will give you fair warning though – once you make this whipped Greek yogurt cream, you may never go back to regular whipped cream again. And that’s a good thing!
Ways to Serve :
Serve it as a Breakfast Bowl
Serve it with your favourite fruit or berries and dress it with optional toasted nuts like almond flakes. I sometimes add in milled flaxseed. You can even put it in mason jars the night before, just like overnight oats minus the oats :) A great wholesome breakfast on the go.
Serve it as a Dessert
If you're having this Berry Yogurt-Cheese Mix as a dessert, try serving it in cocktail glasses and dress it up with pretty sugar frosted edibe flowers which you can get from Cake ingredient stores and certain supermarkets. They make great party treats!
If you are into milky puddings, try the Middle Eastern Muhallebi Milk Pudding. Many variations possible, served in small ramekins or glasses too, making it perfect for parties.
For a Summer fuity bake, try the Fruit Cobbler.
Other Desserts You may Like :
Berry Yogurt-Cheese Breakfast Bowl
- 225 gm full fat cream cheese 8 oz
- 250 gm plain Greek Yogurt 1 cup
- 3-4 strawberries chopped, to blend with the mix
- 1 tbsp maple syrup I used 1 tbsp natural sugar alternative
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- fresh berries
- toasted nuts optional
- fruit jam optional
- Beat cream cheese in a bowl with electric mixer for about 1 minute until softened. Use the whisk attachment if using a stand mixer.
- Add the chopped strawberries, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and well combined, stopping to scrape down side of bowl as needed.
- Add yogurt and beat for a minute or two longer until mixture is smooth and fluffy, scraping bowl again.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Chill at least 1 hour. Best results would be overnight.
- Cream cheese should be at room temperature
- The yogurt is Plain Greek.
- For a topping with a thicker consistency, use Full Fat instead of Low Fat.
Never miss a new post or recipe! Subscribe to our email newsletter. (it’s free and no spam)